This collection contains documents, photos, audio and videos related to the history of Saint Joseph United Methodist Church in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This collection seeks to maintain and preserve its history for other users to browse.
History of St. Joseph United Methodist Church
In 1836, the Methodist community in Fort Wayne first met in the home of Christian Parker near St. Joe Road and Highway 37. In 1863, the church formally organized and began to attend church at a schoolhouse on St. Joe and St. Joe Center Roads; today, that area is known as Parker Cemetary. Realizing that they needed room to grow, they built a church made of brick and was located across the street from their own location. After World War II, the township around the church began to grow and by the mid-1950's, the church council had made the decision to move their ever expanding church to a new location along St. Joe and Reed Road. The construction of the new church would be built in units, the first of which was complete by 1958 with the completion of the Fellowship Hall. In 1967, the second unit came with the consecration of the Sanctuary and the North and South Wings of the church and was completed by 1971. In 1979, the third unit consecration included the church's East Wing, the Narthex and Admnistrative Wing and would be completed by 1983. By the mid-1990's, construction expanded into building the F-wing, which added ten classrooms, a music room, a kitchen, two restrooms and halls.